[OpenIndiana-discuss] Office apps unable to write to ZFS over CIFS (OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 23, Issue 43)

Ong Yu-Phing ong.yu.phing at group.ong-ong.com
Fri Jun 29 03:17:38 UTC 2012

In my environment I have 3 OI_148's integrated into two different ADs,
with the majority of users being Windows users.  They don't see any
issues like this.  They are heavy users of cad, design tools like
photoshop/sketchup etc, as well as MS office/libreoffice, ~12TB of data
all up (and 30+snapshots per filesystem).

Are you sharing via NFS, or are the Windows users accessing via the ZFS
sharesmb=thsfs?

In my situation, I don't have both NFS and sharesmb turned on
simultaneously, nor do I have compression enabled, not sure if these
make a difference.

My nbmand is off, though, as I'm not using both NFS and CIFS.  Maybe
this is your problem, since it specifically deals with locking
(http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/820-2429/configurecrossprotocollockingtask/index.html),
specifically "When the nbmand mount option is not set, the Solaris CIFS
service will enforce mandatory share reservations and byte-range locking
internally for all CIFS clients. However, without nbmand set, there is
only limited coordination with NFS and local processes."?