[OpenIndiana-discuss] Could not setup LDAP for SAMBA

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:18:15 UTC 2012

/etc/passwd still exists for local users (root should always exist as
a local user) ... ldap is additional to it (and likewise should never
have root in it)

zones are really straight forward,
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.+Virtualization

you just need a space you want to install the zone in ( a slice of
disk ) and an IP address ... there are advanced things you can do if
you want to use virtual nics, and we now have an OI server doing
stupendous things in zones that we couldn't have done in 4 machines in
the past.

however, if you don't want to do zones you probably need to run
"ldapclient" on the server to allow it to authenticate against the
LDAP server.

something like (if you use an LDAP server name, remember to put it in
/etc/hosts):

ldapclient manual  -a domainName=dc=domain,dc=com -a
preferredServerList=<LDAP Server ip/name> -a
authenticationMethod=simple

you may want to set the credentialLevel=proxy (if you have protection
on who can see the password field of users), or to specify the
defaultsearchbase ... you should be able to find out more with "man
ldapclient" ...

you then might need to change /etc/nsswitch.conf to have "passwd:
files ldap" and "group: files ldap"

make sure files comes first.

you should then be able to "getent passwd administrator"

Jon