[OpenIndiana-discuss] shmmax etc.

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Thu Mar 8 15:06:30 UTC 2012

On Mar 8, 2012, at 1:10 AM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:

> Hi,
> the documentation of Postgres 9.0 still refers to editing /etc/system to configure semaphores on Solaris
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/kernel-resources.html):
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x2000000set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=32
> Searching, I found this method is no more supported since Solaris 10, and the file is completely ignored.
> Is it still necessary to configure these parameters under IllumOS/OI? How should I do it?

prctl is the command you can use to manage resources. More information is
available in the resource_controls man page.

FWIW, the old way of setting these tunables in /etc/system is a butugly hack, and
we don't miss it at all :-)
 -- richard

--
DTrace Conference, April 3, 2012, http://wiki.smartos.org/display/DOC/dtrace.conf