[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to switch to text login screen

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Thu Mar 8 22:52:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM, David Brodbeck <brodbd at uw.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM, CJ Keist <cj.keist at colostate.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hopefully a simply question, but google hasn't found anything.
> >
> > From the graphical login screen, what is the key sequence to switch to a
> > text login?
> >

> There isn't one.  You have to disable the gdm service.  OpenIndiana doesn't
> have much in the way of local console support; I think the idea is you'll
> primarily be managing it remotely.
>
> --
> David Brodbeck
> System Administrator, Linguistics
> University of Washington

You can enable virtual consoles, at which point the X server VT switch
sequences (i.e. (Ctrl-Alt-F<n>) should work.
https://blogs.oracle.com/DanX/entry/solaris_virtual_consoles

This is a convenience feature. Remotely accessible consoles (ssh and serial
over LOM/IPMI/AMT etc. for the system console) are generally recommended.

-Albert