[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support OI and illumos for GSoC 2012

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:06:03 UTC 2012

Bayard Bell wrote:
> VirtualBox has proven to be effectively unusable
> (building from source takes days instead of hours, and debug kernels
> suffer awful performance and lockups)
Why Vmware?
Vmware is not available for Openindiana/Illumos.
And Virtualbox is there for Solaris and until now, Illumos/Openindiana.

I did not manage to have working KVM and Virtualbox on Openindiana at
the same time,
but that is something Virtualbox is making issue of, as I know.

Maybe reason for mentioning VmWare is because you think students have MS
Windows or OSX on their laptops and just lucky ones have Linux?

Maybe one nice dual-boot setup (Installing system on same disk as
current one but on separate partition) with setting up ZFS and
Openindiana on it with numerous separate boot environments (BE's) for
testing Illumos kernels are in place for development?

And one can run Windows apps one maybe badly needs inside
Virtualbox/KVM, and Openindiana on bare metal, to turn things around a bit?
(With Nvidia graphics for Illumos/Solaris 3D drivers, of course).

N.