[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtualbox on OpenIndiana

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:47:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:

> I have been using vbox 4.1.x on OI 151 for about 5 months now running
> some server-based VMs with good success.
>
> I noticed some comments from Bayard on the list about how vbox was
> completely unusable for development.

Bayard's post wasn't 100% clear, but I understood he was referring to
someone having an OS that handles the hardware, and then running OI
inside of VirtualBox, VMware etc.

I haven't done any benchmarks so can't speak of performance, but I do
get occasional lockups of the OI instance running in VBox. Lockups of
other OSes I run in the same VBox setup are rare. While for what I do
it's not a deal-breaker, I can understand how if I wanted to use OI
inside of VBox for my daily desktop, it would be nerve-wracking.

Jan