[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtualbox on OpenIndiana

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 08:27:38 UTC 2012

There are three problems running on VBox I've seen previously: 1) building illumos-gate from source takes days instead of hours; 2) the debug kernel is extremely unstable, frequently locking up and unable to recover; and 3) scalability for vCPU and memory is flat on the reference host platform (Ubuntu) and actually degrades materially going from 2 vCPUs and 4 GB memory to 4 vCPUs and 8 GB memory with an OS X host.

I worked directly with the VBox developers on benchmarks a year ago to document some of these issues. There are definite gaps in what was tested, as well as assumptions that I was told were reasonable that I'd want to evaluate more critically this time out. The VBox devs are very reasonable, at least once you establish that you come bringing quality bug reports and strong supporting data, and they seems pretty dedicated to understanding and resolving problems with their product.

I'm pretty heavily committed at this point, so this isn't a problem I can chase. I have, however, elsewhere recently offered to help other illumos developers who want to see this resolved.

Cheers,
Bayard