[OpenIndiana-discuss] Routing and avahi questions

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Mon Mar 26 14:17:51 UTC 2012

I have my OpenIndiana box providing wan/lan routing with firewall/nat.
I was having some really slow wan performance so I started digging in.
The performance issue was a compromised user account and a machine on
the internet downloading everything from the account, pegging my upload
bandwidth quota.

However, in my investigations, I've noticed a few things that was
wondering about...

Using snoop, I'm seeing a steady flood of ARP request broadcast from my
ISP.  As I only have one IP address/MAC allowed does it make sense to
filter out the "not-for-me" requests or doesn't it really matter?  Is
there even a way to do this without breaking the WAN-side?

The second question is that I noticed that Avahi has bound itself to
both my WAN and LAN nics.  Is there a way to limit this to the LAN nic?
Does mdns have a similar issue?  I discovered this by running "bssh" and
seeing the service both on my bge0 (WAN) and bge1 (LAN) nics.

I know that these are not necessarily OpenIndiana issues, but I haven't
been able to google anything useful on these topics.  I was hoping that
I could get some insights here.

Regards,
Gary