[OpenIndiana-discuss] spurious degraded multipath messages?

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Wed Mar 28 19:29:19 UTC 2012

answer below...

On Mar 28, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:

> On 3/28/2012 2:40 PM, Richard Elling wrote:

>>> Let me rephrase.  Is it spurious in my case?  Your second comment seems to imply it is?
>>
>> No, it is not spurious. It is informational.

>>> See above?
>>
>> I tend to choose the "better idea"
>>
> Heh.  Bad choice of words on my part then.  I meant spurious as far as indicating an issue in my configuration.  I assume there is no issue, since I do not multipath?

It is not spurious. More likely you are alarmed by the term "degraded" which is often
used in Solaris to designate when redundancy is suboptimal. In the multipathing code
the description is:

* This framework identifies the client device in three distinct states:
*
* OPTIMAL	- Client device has at least one redundant path.
* DEGRADED	- No redundant paths (critical).  Failure in the current active
*		  path would result in data access failures.
* FAILED	- No paths are available to access this device.

http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/uts/common/sys/mdi_impldefs.h#499

Clearly, since the device can be multipathed, but there is only one operational path, the
status is degraded.

Don't worry, be happy.
 -- richard

--