[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hitachi 4 TB disks + HP Microserver + OI 151 + ZFS

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:07:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Richard Elling
<richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:
> On May 2, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Mark wrote:
>
>> There are two issues.
>>
>> The first is correct partition alignment, the second ashift value.
>>
>> In "theory", I haven't tested this yet, manually creating the slices with a start position to sector 64 and using slices instead of whole disks for the zpool devices, and creating with an ashift of 12 may produce the desired outcome.
>
> Default starting offset for slice 0 is sector 256 for 512-byte sector disks.
> You shouldn't have to manually touch these unless you are running an
> ancient (circa 2006-2007) version of Solaris where the default offset was 34.

Yes, but be warned: the format command will try to make fdisk partitions
that are aligned on "cyninder" boundaries, which are usually odd numbers
of sectors.  I have a fix for that here:  http://yalms.org/cr/zfs-blksize/
(the first three files.  ignore the zfs part for now)

Gordon