[OpenIndiana-discuss] Root as role vs. user and rsync

Dave Pooser dave-oi at pooserville.com
Mon May 7 01:37:56 UTC 2012

On 5/6/12 8:04 AM, "Jeppe Toustrup" <openindiana at tenzer.dk> wrote:

>2. SSH in as dedicated unprivileged user, which then have permissions
>to run rsync with root permissions though sudo.

This is how I do it, which also has the advantage of letting me give sudo
permissions to run specific scripts that (for example) quiesce a database,
snapshot the filesystem, reactivate the database, mount the snapshot, and
then perform further operations on the snapshot while the database is
humming along. Makes backup windows much more manageable....
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com