[OpenIndiana-discuss] unable to start nfs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon May 7 18:42:16 UTC 2012

2012-05-07 22:04, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Hello openindiana,
>
>   I appreciate the help you've provided so far. This OI box is turning
> out completely awesome!

Yup! ;)

>   Currently I am trying to start an nfs server so that I can share my
> zpool across the network.

To be pedantic, you don't share a zpool, but filesystem directories,
over NFS :) In case of ZFS-NFS integration, you share filesystem
datasets at their roots (and their child filesystem datasets by
default - unless you override the sharenfs attribute in the children).

>   However when I attempt to start the service I am getting an error:
>
>   root at openindiana:~# svcadm enable -r nfs/server
> svcadm: svc:/milestone/network depends on svc:/network/physical, which
> has multiple instances.
>

> Now, I do have two physical links that I am currently using to create

As James pointed out, this error message is not what you interpreted
it to be. Moreover, I often see it (in the same situation) on other
Solaris 10+ releases, and it is in fact just a warning from SMF to
make you notice that it is possible that the service you want might
rely on a different service than you have configured, or somesuch.

In fact, you should check the output of "svcs -a | grep nfs" for
hints whether your nfs/server is "online" or in another state;
if it is not online, you can drill down to see why.

HTH,
//Jim