[OpenIndiana-discuss] Making OI work on Lenovo thinkpad T520 (few issues)

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Tue May 8 07:54:34 UTC 2012

Hi Sunay,

Sunay Tripathi píše v po 07. 05. 2012 v 11:40 -0700:
> Hi Milan,
>
> On 05/ 7/12 10:51 AM, Milan Jurik wrote:
> > Hi Sunay,
> >
> > Sunay Tripathi píše v pá 04. 05. 2012 v 19:45 -0700:
> >> Hi Milan,
> >>

> > [...]
> >>
> >> Funny. Then why do we have the chip listed as supported on
> >> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/WiFi. I actually ordered the
> >> laptop based on that. Have CC'd Albert to see if he has any
> >> ideas.
> >>

> > I do not know but I think iwp needs more work to support 6205+ devices,
> > we lack support in firmware I think.
>
> I think we should update the page to reflect that. It might be
> worthwhile keeping a page on laptops that are known to work. I know
> thats not the target for this community but at the same time if
> developers can run on their laptop/desktop, we get better
> stability :)

I agree (and I run OI on my laptop as the only OS but my laptop is old
good Lenovo T60 still).

> Can anyone point me *bsd sources where we need to pull the relevant
> iwp firmware code from?

It will not be so easy in case of iwp because iwp seems to be developed
by Intel and not comming from FreeBSD. On FreeBSD they have own driver
for all Intel WiFi from 4965 to the latest. And Intel has own agreements
with Oracle so it is unlikely they will give us newer code :-(

I do not know how fresh is FreeBSD-head on src.illumos.org (it looks
like it was not updated from November) but you can look there.

It will be great if somebody will implement support for the latest Intel
WiFi cards (family 1000 and new chips in 6000).

>  Not have much time but I kind of liked
> this t520p with the native 1920x1080 resolution so would love to
> get it to work.
>
> Cheers,
> Sunay

Best regards,