[OpenIndiana-discuss] nfs permission denied

tomte at ulkhyvlers.net tomte at ulkhyvlers.net
Tue May 8 16:05:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 11:43:29AM -0400, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm trying to setup an NFS server under oi 151. So far so good, but
> there is one hurdle I'd like to overcome regarding security.
>
>  The nfs service is running -
>
>  root at openindiana:~# svcs -a | grep nfs | grep server
> online         22:51:58 svc:/network/nfs/server:default
>

> And I have one entry in dfstab to test this out -
>
> root at openindiana:~# tail /etc/dfs/dfstab
> # This file is reconstructed and only maintained for backward
> # compatibility. Configuration lines could be lost.
> #
> #       share [-F fstype] [ -o options] [-d "<text>"] <pathname> [resource]
> #       .e.g,
> #       share  -F nfs  -o rw=engineering  -d "home dirs"  /export/home2
> share -F nfs /tank/xen

[snip]

> However if I test my permissions on the mounted share volume (on the
> client side as root) -
>
>  [root at LBSD2:~] #touch /mnt/xen/test
> touch: /mnt/xen/test: Permission denied

[snip]

>From where I am standing you seem to have missed an option for
nfs... check the manpage for share_nfs.
specifically the option below.

        root=access_list

        Only  root  users  from  the  hosts   specified   in
        access_list have root access. See access_list below.
        By default, no host has root access, so  root  users
        are mapped to an anonymous user ID (see the anon=uid
        option described above). Netgroups can  be  used  if
        the  file system shared is using UNIX authentication
        ( AUTH_SYS).

If you havent got that one, root on your bsdbox will be remapped to
anonymous and then it bites you in the rear ;)

// Richard

--
"Its hard to be religious when certain people are never
incinerated by bolts of lightning."

- Calvin & Hobbes