[OpenIndiana-discuss] BTRFS for OI, anyone?

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Wed May 9 13:50:53 UTC 2012

I was a bit surprised to see so much near-religious reactions....
James C is to be commended for his rational answer.

I was merely trying to find out if

A: BTRFS would be (easily) doable
B: BTRFS had any advantage at all, at least down the line, years away.
C: ZFS had any major wins over BTRFS that would make the Q moot.

Can someone comment in a tech way on B and C above??

I can think of one political/commercial reason for BTRFS: Oracle is
actually involved, and I guess ZFS technology might seep into BTRFS that
way, w/o hitting some sort of licensing wall or be too costly.

P.S.
I hear some people out there sing the BTRFS' praise, and that is people
whom I used to trust while at Sun.
I hear people praise the realtime and/or lowlatency properties of recent
linuxes, too, and I went ahead and tried, and THAT seemed quite
reasonable praise.