[OpenIndiana-discuss] BTRFS for OI, anyone?

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Wed May 9 15:07:53 UTC 2012

James Carlson wrote:
> Each currently has advantages over the other in different departments.
> On balance, from what I've seen of BTRFS in Fedora, ZFS has much more
> over BTRFS than the reverse.  But that's to be expected; ZFS is much
> more mature.
>
> Frankly, I don't expect that to be a useful comparison unless someone is
> planning to build a distribution where the default file system is
> changed from ZFS to BTRFS.  If someone is going to do that, then there
> are a lot of other things that have to change -- the packaging system
> and boot sequence all currently depend heavily on ZFS in OpenIndiana.
> It'd be a lot of work to change all of that.

I went to a btrfs presentation a few weeks ago (in Holland).
There are already package install changes in some linux distros to support
btrfs snapshots, and also btrfs boot environments is under development, so
changes in either direction may quickly become less than you might imagine.

What did surprise me a bit was, in an audience of what I expect were
mainly Linux users, almost no one had used btrfs (and no one at all had
it on a Production system which was less of a surprise), but when asked,
probably 2/3rds of them had used ZFS.

--
Andrew