[OpenIndiana-discuss] BTRFS for OI, anyone?

John McEntee jmcentee at stirling-dynamics.com
Wed May 9 15:43:46 UTC 2012

I think BTRFS on openindiana would be a distraction and not worth the effort
at this point in time.

At home I and trialling ZFS on linux (need linux for mythtv) and it works
well.

I have not tried BTRFS but there a few things I really like about ZFS and
openindiana.

1.) The kernel cifs server is really simile to install and join to a domain,
and the user,group,other ACLs can be removed entirely. Much better for my
use case at work.
2.) Everything under the same zpool/zfs commands from block devices upwards,
and raidz being better than raid 5 (no need to write the entire disk when it
is replaced)
3.) Much more mature, out in production use for 6 years.
4.) Everything is configured on the filesystem. I have had a major failure
of a root disk (not mirrored, under testing). All I did was reinstall,
import the pool tank and rejoin the windows domain, and everything else
worked as it was before the failure.
5) ZFS send and receive is great for a DR server.

I believe BTRFS would limit all of the above, but I don't think is it even
worth my time researching at the moment.

John

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential and are solely for the person(s) at the e-mail address(es) above. If you are not an addressee, you may not disclose, distribute, copy or use this e-mail, and we request that you send an e-mail to admin at stirling-dynamics.com and delete this e-mail.  Stirling Dynamics Ltd. accepts no legal liability for the contents of this e-mail including any errors, interception or interference, as internet communications are not secure.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Stirling Dynamics Ltd. Registered In England No. 2092114 Registered Office: 26 Regent Street, Clifton, Bristol. BS8 4HG
VAT no. GB 464 6551 29