[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS mount of oi_148 filesystem by Linux fails

Martin Frost me at cs.Stanford.EDU
Thu May 10 02:08:36 UTC 2012

 > Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 18:38:54 +0400
 > From: Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru>
 >
 > 2012-05-09 5:13, Martin Frost wrote:
 > > I'm trying to export a ZFS filesystem on oi_148 via NFS, but the NFS
 > > mount fails.  The same ZFS filesystem is shared via CIFS, and that's
 > > working.  I hope CIFS sharing doesn't interfere with NFS exporting.
 >
 > Does your nfsserver's "dmesg" (/var/adm/messages) log have any
 > reports like this:
 >
 > May  9 13:35:01 nfsserver mountd[9689]: [ID 770583 daemon.error]
 > nfsclient.stanford.edu denied access to /nfsclient/filesys ?

Thanks for your reply.  The annoying thing is that nothing is being
logged at all.

Turned out that the mount was failing because of the permissions,
or more accurately, the ACLs of the directory being exported.
I had to turn on one bit of access for 'everyone':

                 owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:-------:allow
              everyone@:------a-------:-------:allow
              everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:-------:deny

     read_attributes (a)     The ability to read basic attributes
                             (non-ACLs) of a file.

Then I was able to mount.

Martin