[OpenIndiana-discuss] Openldap SMF broken

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Thu May 10 11:26:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to set up openldap on oi151a4. I've set up the config files
and can run it from the command line, but it took a bit of stuffing
around to get its SMF service to run. Even with the correct config,
the service starts and then fails, presumably because the start method
didn't return within the allowed 30 seconds time frame.

I changed the startup script by putting a '&' at the end of the `exec
$SLAPD` line so that the server ran in the background from the start
script, and now it seems to be working.

Is that the best way to do it?? I thought I remember reading somewhere
that you could configure a SMF service to run a service as a long
running program without requiring it to daemonize/fork. Couldn't find
it though.

-Matt