[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cron best practice

Mark Creamer whitetr6 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:42:02 UTC 2012

I'm looking for a bit of best practice advice. On Windows systems I
usually create a job runner account with the correct permissions to
run batch scripts when they need to be scheduled, so the jobs aren't
tied to specific users whose passwords will change.

So in OI, I have a similar need, to run a job nightly that will pull
data from a neighboring server using a scp command run in a cron job.
My thought is to create a user account and set up passwordless scp to
facilitate scripting the scp task. Would it then be best to run the
job in root's cron? Or from the shell of the user running the scp?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Mark