[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to test ethernet throughput?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon May 21 14:18:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 08:38:09AM -0500, Gary Mills wrote:
> I'm just finishing a driver for the Atheros AR8131 and AR8132 ethernet
> devices.  I'm ready now to test it under load.  What's available in
> OpenIndiana for this purpose?  I couldn't see anything in the
> repository that seemed suitable.  I don't need to bring the interface
> up to maximum throughput, but I'd at least like to be sure that
> nothing breaks when it has a reasonable load.

Thanks to all who responded.  Most of you recommended `iperf'.  That's
what I used.  Not being a network expert, I didn't know what options
to use, but with the defaults I was able to push many packets through
this interface in both directions.  The driver worked nicely.  I got a
bandwith of about 94 Mbits/sec, three times that of the wireless
interface.  That's all I needed.