[OpenIndiana-discuss] sata hot plug problem (ahci?) + openindiana crash

Matthieu Paindavoine ctordtor at yahoo.fr
Tue May 22 19:01:30 UTC 2012

Hello,

I've trying to insert a sata hd in an enclosure, but it doesn't seem to be recognized by the os.

Low and behold, I used '#> cfgadm -al', and only usb devices come up, nothing sata related.

I have several sata hard drive in that machine, all of them contributing to a zpool which work perfectly fine.

So I don't know why they are not showing up with cfgadm?

I read a bit about the topic, and it seems to depend on ahci being available.

I ran '#> dmesg | grep -i ahci' and nothing showed up

The motherboard is msi 890FXA-GD70, and I went in the bios:
integrated peripherals -> on-chip ATA devices -> RAID Mode : {IDE, RAID, AHCI} and switched from IDE to AHCI

I then restarted the machine. I got the booting screen for about 5 sec, and then the machine reboots.
I switched back from AHCI to IDE, and this time the machine booted fine.

So.... I'd like to know what needs to be done to be able to swap sata drive in that machine...

Thanks,

Matthieu