[OpenIndiana-discuss] installing oracle 11g

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed May 23 22:28:10 UTC 2012

2012-05-24 2:16, Tim Dunphy wrote:
>> I don't want to sound insulting, but is X running?
>> Are you on console or logged in over ssh? If ssh, is xforwarding enabled? If
>> so, do you have some sort of X client on your side? Do other X clients work
>> (eg. xload)?
>
> That's fine. I'm logged in at the console, not ssh'd in and yes x is
> working fine.
>

> I'm running as the oracle user
>
> [root at openindiana:/tank/iso] #su - oracle

X11 uses some "MIT Magic Cookies" to authorize its users, and
those might not pass through "su" or "su -" and/or the access
rights needed to use the cookie files.

For the duration of your installation, you can execute (as X11
server session owner - i.e. root - inside that session):
# xhost + localhost
This should allow any connections from localhost to this DISPLAY.
Likewise for any other named client host; or just "xhost +" to
permit anyone in (firewall and/or private LAN recommended).

Then, before you "su", take note of your (root's) current setting
of DISPLAY and export that after "su"ing, i.e.:
# echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
# su - oracle
$ DISPLAY=:0.0