[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which compiler to use for Perl modules?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu May 24 14:03:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012, Henner Gratz wrote:

> I need to install a few Perl modules on one of my OpenIndiana boxes
> (oi151a4), Digest::MD4 for example. Unfortunately the usual way of
> installation (perl Makefile.PL ; make ; ...) doesn't work because
> the created Makefiles are configured for the Sun/Solaris Studio
> compiler. How to proceed now? Download Oracle's Solaris Studio
> compiler or modify the Makefiles to use gcc instead of cc? Which
> compiler was used for buidling perl?

The perfect solution is to always install Perl modules using the
compiler used to build Perl.  Perl remembers all the nuances involved
with the compiler used when Perl was built and replays these options
when modules are built.

This behavior is a long-standing problem with Perl.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn