[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome and the future

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:14:43 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 14:56, Ron Parker <rdparker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm the oddball in the bunch. But I've been running OpenIndiana
> as my "desktop" OS on my laptop at work since OI-147 was released two
> years ago.  Why?

I would like to butt in and say that I'm one of the mad ones that use
OI on a laptop, it's a Dell and before it was bought it was spec'd out
with all Intel hardware (I don't need Nvidia performance) which pretty
much guaranteed network driver compliance ...

There have been times, in the past, when sticking with OI was a hard
decision (boot times > 1Hr, 100% blocking on the disk ... all now
fixed) and some oddities that leave me wondering about it, but I would
still rather have OI as my desktop than Windows or Linux because I've
worked with Solaris for so damn long that I'm old in the tooth.

I wasn't very impressed with the speed of the new package system to
start with (on my laptop particularly) but I do appreciate the whole
repository system ... but when I installed OI on a server it was easy
to spot exactly how it was supposed to run ... and I wouldn't really
want to go back. (I am grateful that SVR4 packages are still
installable, if not creatable on OI)

anyway I'm rambling.

Jon