[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome and the future

Irek Szczesniak iszczesniak at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:20:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com> wrote:
> from what I remember of the conversations of the time, we cannot move
> to Gnome 3 because of certain Linux dependencies ...
>
> Gnome 2 is no longer changing, and no longer being patched ...

The problem with Gnome 3 is AFAIK mostly a problem of Illumos libc
since Gnome 3 intends to move to use the ..._l() apis (e.g.
strcasecmp_l(), isalnum_l(), ...) which are not present in Illumos
libc. FreeBSD was confronted with the same problem (that major
toolkits, including Gnome3 and Qt) and desktops are going to mandate
the *_l() apis) and just did the work - see
http://freebsdfoundation.blogspot.de/2011/09/following-project-update-was-written-by.html

Irek