[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg update requiring new boot-environment in a zone?

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Fri Nov 2 16:52:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Sašo Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm trying to update a few zones on my oi_151a4 box and the update
> requests a new boot environment to be created - for the zone.
> Predictably, this fails, and specifying --deny-new-be in the zone makes
> pkg refuse to do the update.
>
> So here's the kicker: how does one update the image version inside a
> zone? I fail to find any relevant documentation on this issue and I'm
> sort of out of ideas.

You stop the zone, and then from the global zone, you make sure the zone's
file system is mounted, ie. by running 'zoneadm -z <zonename> ready'. Then
you update the zone from the global zone, ie. 'pkg -R
/path/to/<zonename>/root update', and finally you start the zone up again
with 'zoneadm -z <zonename> boot'.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)