[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg update requiring new boot-environment in a zone?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Nov 3 14:21:15 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-02 18:21, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 05:52 PM, Jeppe Toustrup wrote:
>> You stop the zone, and then from the global zone, you make sure the zone's
>> file system is mounted, ie. by running 'zoneadm -z <zonename> ready'. Then
>> you update the zone from the global zone, ie. 'pkg -R
>> /path/to/<zonename>/root update', and finally you start the zone up again
>> with 'zoneadm -z <zonename> boot'.

+1

> Thanks, this worked, albeit now I have a segfaulting problem since the
> zfs(1M) and zpool(1M) tools have to be closely aligned with the kernel
> interface (which is not binary-clean, it seems, great...). Oh well,
> that's another story for another day.

Well, in fact back when I had to update Sol10 or SXCE servers
with local zones (via LiveUpgrade), the process was so slow
and often indeterminate, that the procedure was to stop the
zones, move away the XML files from /etc/zones so that the
global-zone OS would thing there are no other zones, and LU it.
Then the zfs packages needed to be updated in local zones so
they would indeed start (and this only concerned zones with
delegated datasets). If everything worked (with new packages
in GZ and old packages except ZFS in LZs), we went on with
proper detach-attachWithUpdate for the local zones.

So yes, ZFS is not binary clean for a long time ;)

HTH,
//Jim