[OpenIndiana-discuss] SFE multimedia players and codecs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Nov 4 07:52:24 UTC 2012

I've tried to install some multimedia support to that OI laptop of
mine, and while all the codec packages seem to have been selected
and installed, the multitude of installed players refuse to play
anything - from MP3's to movies. I was surprised to see even VLC
refuse to do anything, though I previously thought that it has
some codecs of their own implementation built in (not shared from
external libraries).

Anyhow, are there any hoops to jump through beside installing the
players and codecs, so that the former would know about the latter?

Thanks,
//Jim