[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome and the future

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Nov 5 17:51:58 UTC 2012

On 11/ 1/12 02:29 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 11/ 1/12 02:20 PM, Irek Szczesniak wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> from what I remember of the conversations of the time, we cannot move
>>> to Gnome 3 because of certain Linux dependencies ...
>>>
>>> Gnome 2 is no longer changing, and no longer being patched ...
>>
>> The problem with Gnome 3 is AFAIK mostly a problem of Illumos libc
>
> That's just one of the problems.   You'll also need better graphics
> driver support, unless you don't mind telling people to just stick
> to the Nvidia closed driver and ensure the illumos kernel remains 100%
> binary compatible with the private interfaces the nvidia driver uses
> from the Solaris kernel.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/distributor-list/2012-November/msg00002.html

The GNOME community today announced the EOL of their "fallback" mode, forcing
GNOME 3 users to full OpenGL support or finding another desktop.   For people
without hardware accelerated OpenGL (i.e. illumos users not using either
Nvidia's driver or an Intel chipset supported by the older DRI code in
illumos), they recommend the Mesa llvmpipe backend, which requires a llvm port
to your platform (which I think may be available for Solarish OS'es on x86,
but not SPARC).

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com