[OpenIndiana-discuss] System Panics after deleting zvol - Work Around

matt at focusedmobile.com matt at focusedmobile.com
Fri Nov 9 23:52:58 UTC 2012

   Thanks George and Jim (anyone else if I missed you)for all the help
and great ideas. I also received a lot of help from Ryan W. who you see
on the original thread I posted at the Nexenta forums.  With some help
from Ryan I was able to locate a 5 month old snapshot after I mounted
the pool as R/O.  I then setup a new pool on two HD's approx 3TB usable
space and then used the zfs send command to copy over the data from the
snap, it took the good part of a day, almost 2TB of data to copy but I
was able to map it via iSCSI back to my windows host and all my data is
there.  Well only missing 300 GB of stuff over the last five months,
most important I copied off some of the more important personal data
(old tax forms etc) I didn't want to lose.. one reason I put my
important data on ZFS was knowing it was protected by a file system I
could trust and won't not rot away.  This issue I ran into I admit is
solely my own responsibility since I was playing around with dedupe on a
system that couldn't handle it (not enough memory).  Now with the
confidence I have running the zfs send, I'm going to delete the zvol and
try to copy the old pool over using the dd command to recover the whole
zvol, if it doesn't work then not all is lost. Now I only want to gain
the experience and prove to myself I can recover all of the data using
dd.  Great community, thanks for allowing me to bother you guys.. Might
be switching over to OpenIndiana with Napp-it since after getting a
little experience with your live CD I am starting to really like it.

Matt