[OpenIndiana-discuss] managing repositories

"Weiergräber, Oliver H." o.h.weiergraeber at fz-juelich.de
Sun Nov 11 18:27:59 UTC 2012

Hello,

while setting up a fresh oi_151a7 system, I encountered a number of questions related to repository management:

1. In the default install of oi_151a7, the opensolaris.org publisher is still included as "enabled" and "sticky". Is there any sense in that? Any good reason not to disable it completely?

2. I have configured sfe repositories as indicated on the Wiki page:
pkg set-publisher -p http://pkg.openindiana.org/sfe
pkg set-publisher -p http://pkg.openindiana.org/sfe-encumbered

Didn't get any errors or warnings with these commands, but it seems to me that the "-p" option does not really exist. There is only a "-P" switch (upper case!), which marks a repository as preferred. But we don't want to generally prefer sfe over the core repository, do we?
In fact, "pkg publisher" does not list any flags (such as "preferred").

So... what is the "-p" option meant to do? Is it maybe silently ignored?

3. Then I went on to install a package:
"pkg install imagemagick" gave me

pkg install: 'imagemagick' matches multiple packages
        pkg://sfe/image/editor/imagemagick
        pkg://sfe/image/library/g++/imagemagick
        pkg://opensolaris.org/image/imagemagick
        pkg://openindiana.org/image/imagemagick

Please provide one of the package FMRIs listed above to the install command."

Obviously, the pkg install command neither picked the package from the first repo in the search list (which is openindiana.org), nor the latest version available (which is from sfe), but prompts the user to make a choice.
Isn't there a mechanism for prioritization of packages from different repositories?

I understand that a repository can be marked as "preferred" but is this different from being the first in the search list? If yes, what is the search order good for?

Thanks in advance for useful hints ;-)

Oliver

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich