[OpenIndiana-discuss] N40L rear e-sata

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at jvm.de
Sun Nov 11 19:00:31 UTC 2012

Am 11.11.12 19:09, schrieb Sašo Kiselkov:
> On 11/11/2012 02:02 PM, Michelle Knight wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I made a new installation of OI a couple of weeks ago, on a HP N40L
>> system.
>>
>> At the back is an e-sata port that I want to hook up to an external
>> drive, but when I hook up a drive through it and issue cfgadm -lav I
>> can't see it on any channel.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience/advice please?
> You need to reflash the BIOS to enable AHCI mode on the fifth SATA port
> (the e-SATA one). Have a look at:
>
> http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-n40l-build-and-bios-modification.html
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Saso

+1  - flashing the N40L BIOS is a must. I did that on three units myself
and it was really easy using a USB thumb drive. I also just crammed 16
GB of RAM into my unit at home, which really made a big difference,
since I am also running Vbox on it. :)

You just have to be aware, that if you installed OI on the disks in IDE
mode, you won't be able to boot off the rpool, once you changed your
drives from IDE to SATA, but you can overcome that using the
instructions for repairing the rpool in the ZFS admin guide.

Cheers,
budy