[OpenIndiana-discuss] N40L rear e-sata

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Mon Nov 12 19:32:55 UTC 2012

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:30:23 +0100
vab at bb-c.de (Volker A. Brandt) wrote:

> > I made a new installation of OI a couple of weeks ago, on a HP N40L
> > system.
> >
> > At the back is an e-sata port that I want to hook up to an external
> > drive, but when I hook up a drive through it and issue cfgadm -lav I
> > can't see it on any channel.
>
> Can you see the external disk in the BIOS?
>

> Regards -- Volker

Apologies for the delay. I had to find an opportune time to take the
system down.

Yes, the BIOS can see all drives.

Interestingly, however, the system can not only not see the external
drive, it can't see the system drive either... all it can see on the
sata channels are the three data drives...

Ap_Id                          Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
Information When         Type         Busy     Phys_Id
sata0/0::dsk/c5t0d0            connected    configured   ok
Mod: WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 FRev: 80.00A80 SN: WD-WMAWZ0181761
unavailable  disk         n        /devices/pci at 0,0/pci103c,1609 at 11:0
sata0/1                        empty        unconfigured ok
unavailable  sata-port    n        /devices/pci at 0,0/pci103c,1609 at 11:1
sata0/2::dsk/c5t2d0            connected    configured   ok
Mod: WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 FRev: 80.00A80 SN: WD-WMAWZ0278326
unavailable  disk         n        /devices/pci at 0,0/pci103c,1609 at 11:2
sata0/3::dsk/c5t3d0            connected    configured   ok
Mod: WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 FRev: 80.00A80 SN: WD-WCAWZ2012528

The BIOS was flashed to allow the extended functionality.

Interestingly, if I read the BIOS correctly, the BIOS possibly thinks
that the system drive on SATA port 5, and possibly the external SATA as
well, could be interpreted as IDE drives.

Michelle.