[OpenIndiana-discuss] N40L rear e-sata

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Nov 12 19:43:48 UTC 2012

> > Can you see the external disk in the BIOS?
>
> Yes, the BIOS can see all drives.

That's good.

> Interestingly, however, the system can not only not see the external
> drive, it can't see the system drive either... all it can see on the
> sata channels are the three data drives...

Did you disable the "combined mode" after flashing the new BIOS?

Here is the relevant portion of the doc the BIOS modder wrote:

  --- 8< ---

  How to enable AHCI Mode on 5th SATA Port (ODD) in order to connect internal SATA harddisk:
  - Chipset
    - Southbridge Configuration
       - SB SATA Configuration
         - SATA IDE Combined Mode = Disabled (Default is Enabled)

  Optional:
    - OnChip IDE Type = IDE-legay (disabling makes no difference if above
      disabled, default is IDE-legacy)
    - SATA ESP on all PORT = Disabled (only used if ESATA device is connected,
      default is Disabled)
    - SATA Power on all PORT = Enabled (needs to be on, otherwise disk not
      visible. Default is Enabled)

  --- 8< ---

This is also necessary for "native mode" on the eSATA port.

I am not sure about the "SATA ESP" setting, as I have not tried the eSATA
port myself yet.  Just try it with "Enabled" if it does not work with
"Disabled".

Hope this helps -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"