[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome desktop system commands don't work?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:25:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz at druber.com> wrote:

>> I think there were reports of GNOME GUI root-password prompts ignoring
>> the password defined during OS installation (from Live Media), either
>> if the pass includes certain characters, or always.
>>
>> Redefining the root password (even to the same text) after booting into
>> the installed OS solved the issue for those posters. May have to do with
>> PAM integrations taking place (as is the known case with CIFS-compatible
>> passwords) or something like that...
>

> BINGO!  Thank you Jim!  I did 'passwd root' and changed to current one, but
> that apparently doesn't help my existing gdm session.  Since I am not yet
> running the 2-3 VMs headless, I'm afraid to disconnect the session lest I
> hose them.  I'll do that tonight when everyone is off...

If it's the known password bug, then it's because the root password
is initially expired. Fixing it should be effective immediately. However,
what you would normally have got in that case is it prompting for the
root password and refusing to accept it.

Another possibility is to run 'users-admin' from a terminal window
and see if it generates anything useful in terms of output. (It's likely
to generate some meaningless chatter anyway.)

--
-Peter Tribble