[OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware specs for illumos storage/virtualization server

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 17 16:17:30 UTC 2012

I have a OpenIndiana system with 16-cores of Xeon E5 and Intel i350
Ethernet and these seem to work great with recent OpenIndiana/Illumos.
I was a bit nervous about i350 Ethernet since the driver was not added
until 151a3 but it has worked perfectly.

Prices I have seen this year for Enterprise SAS and SATA drives did
not show a large bump in price for SAS as compared with SATA (maybe
only $20-30).  Other than the SAS controller, there is not much extra
cost for SAS as compared with SATA if one sticks with a supplier like
Supermicro.  Due to this, I went with SAS for my system, except that
SATA is used for boot/system drives.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn