[OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware specs for illumos storage/virtualization server

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 17 21:13:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012, Jim Klimov wrote:

>> Before claiming "ridiculous pricing", it is useful to examine the
>> specification sheet.  There may be a 10X difference in the uncorrected
>> media error rate, or error rate may not be specified at all.
>
> Valid point... but how much does it matter if we throw ZFS at these
> drives and expect it to save the day against the BER and similar
> failures?

If the drive stalls indefinitely trying to recover a bad sector, then
there is a big problem.

The uncorrectable bit error rate is an important factor when
considering what level of RAID is necessary for the size of disk used.

While whole drives can always fail, the uncorrectable bit error rate
has quite a lot do do with the incidence of additional errors when
recovering from a failed drive.  If the drive is now 10X larger, then
it is useful if the error rate is 10X smaller so that the sector
failure per drive is still similar.

While I have had several whole drives fail here, I have yet to
encounter an unrecoverable media error.  Maybe I am just lucky, but I
do try to avoid garden variety drives and spend extra for "enterprise"
type drives whenever I have the option.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn