[OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware specs for illumos storage/virtualization server

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Sun Nov 18 07:45:56 UTC 2012

Sent from Jasons' hand held

On Nov 17, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> My box did have uncorrected raidz2 errors and couldn't even point
> to a failed drive - it's as if they all scratched the same region
> at once...

> which may have been caused by power jerks or something,
> with all drives accessing same areas in unison.

western digital drives on an adaptec controller by chance?

when i was at aol a few years back we had several hundred, may a thousand 24 bay supermicro boxes with adaptec controllers. about once a month a box would turn up for service with a hand full of corrupted files. this happened on mirrors, raid 5, and raid 6.

this even happened to one of my osol thumbnail servers (about 1b images on the pool).  we always suspect a wd-adaptec problem but the vendors just pointed fingers at each other.

it did seem to occur on the hardware platforms and our sample size was in the tens of thousands.

j.