[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs] ZFS High-Availability and Sync Replication

Matt Clark matt at mattclark.net
Sun Nov 18 14:34:27 UTC 2012

On 18 Nov 2012, at 11:13, Sašo Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that replication at the storage level is the Wrong Way(tm)
> to do it, but I need to cover this scenario for the rare cases where the
> application layer can't/won't do it themselves. Most specifically, I
> need to replicate VM backing storage for VMs that can't do software
> RAID-1 themselves (which is of course the best way).

If you have a specific use case in mind then it'd be best to share it in more detail.  If a VM can't do RAID1 for itself, then put its storage on a mirrored pool.  If you need the pool to be more resilient than that then triple mirror it or raidz2 it.  If you need site redundancy then make the pool out of zvols exported over iscsi from servers in two datacentres.  And so on up to the limits of your ingenuity and funding.