[OpenIndiana-discuss] [smartos-discuss] hardware specs for illumos storage/virtualization server

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Nov 19 03:10:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 08:27:35PM +1300, Ian Collins wrote:

> that, unlike those on Dell PERCs,  the 2308 hasn't been hobbled to
> prevent JBOD mode.  So as long as the recently added driver sees the
> card, you can use the megaCLI utility to enable it.
>
> The on board SATA works fine and you shouldn't have any problems with
> the i350.

Cool, thanks for the positive feedback.

> I use an LSI 2911 which uses the well supported 2008 chip.

Hmm, I don't see any of those for sale, and google's not being much
help. Is that an older card? Maybe it's been discontinued and replaced
with a new model.

> I'm happy with WD (non-RAID) blacks for a home system.  As long as your
> case has good cooling on the drives, they'll be fine.

The case I'm looking at has 4 80mm fans midplane, so there should be
decent ventilation.

> I used a couple of Crucial M4 drives for the ARC and Intel 311s for the ZIL.

Looks like the 311 is EOL, replaced by the 313. SLC flash for
durability, nice, but I couldn't find anything that says whether or not
the 313 has a supercapacitor to flush the write cache on unexpected
power failure.

Thanks much for the input...