[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS High-Availability and Sync Replication

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Tue Nov 20 03:12:02 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 9:39 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: Sašo Kiselkov [mailto:skiselkov.ml at gmail.com]
>>
>> I've been lately looking around the net for high-availability and sync
>> replication solutions for ZFS and came up pretty dry - seems like all
>> the jazz is going around on Linux with corosync/pacemaker and DRBD. I
>> found a couple of tools, such as AVS and OHAC, but these seem rather
>> unmaintained, so it got me wondering what others use for ZFS clustering,
>> HA and sync replication. Can somebody please point me in the right
>> direction?
> Despite my recent failure, I still think there must be a good solution mirroring an iscsi device with another iscsi device.  I've put this project on the back burner, but I'm still optimistic that there's a simple explainable and repeatable problem causing the failure I experienced.  (And avoidable.)

Well, to me, the most obvious is use another box with ZFS to mirror the
ISCSI devices on ZFS. I'm in the process of doing this myself with some
stuff. 2 head nodes and 2 storage nodes. The storage nodes are targets
and the head nodes are initators. You get performance and reliability,
and failover between head nodes is relatively easy with zpool import.