[OpenIndiana-discuss] slicing a disk for ZIL

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Nov 29 15:16:00 UTC 2012

Hi Jim,

thanks for the information.

I managed to set up 4 partitions on the disk with fdisk:

  Total disk size is 3116 cylinders
              Cylinder size is 12544 (512 byte) blocks

                                                Cylinders
       Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length %
       =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ====== ===
           1                 Solaris2          1   779     779 25
           2                 Solaris2        780  1558     779 25
           3                 Solaris2       1559  2336     778 25
           4                 Solaris2       2337  3114     778 25

Now,  in /dev/rdsk and /dev/dsk, I see:

# ls -sh /dev/dsk/ | grep c3t31d0p
512 c3t31d0p0
512 c3t31d0p1
512 c3t31d0p2
512 c3t31d0p3
512 c3t31d0p4

So, there are 5 Partitions. I am not sure which or if any count, and I
have not found a way to verify that each of the Partitions is about 4 GB.

partition print says

partition> print
Current partition table (original):
Total disk cylinders available: 777 + 2 (reserved cylinders)

Part      Tag    Flag     Cylinders       Size            Blocks
   0 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0
   1 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0
   2     backup    wu       0 - 776        4.65GB    (777/0/0) 9746688
   3 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0
   4 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0
   5 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0
   6 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0
   7 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0
   8       boot    wu       0 -   0        6.12MB    (1/0/0) 12544
   9 unassigned    wm       0              0 (0/0/0)         0

I am still confused how to proceed further.

WBR,

Sebastian