[OpenIndiana-discuss] dismissing zpool upgrade notice

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:10:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

I recently updated my system to oi_151a6 (from oi_151a3, a fresh
install). I read up on the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading
the zpool, and decided it's best for my data to stay at zpool version
28 (I can potentially read the drives on any of Solaris, GNU/Linux,
FreeBSD etc.).

My monthly scrub adds "zpool status -x" (usually blank) to /etc/motd,
but upon login today I was greeted with:

  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on software that does not
support feature
        flags.
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h2m with 0 errors on Mon Oct  1 01:08:52 2012
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          c2t1d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I looked in the zpool man page:

     zpool status [-xv] [pool] ...

         Displays the detailed health status for the given pools.
[...]
         -x
               Only display status for pools that are  exhibiting
               errors or are otherwise unavailable.

My two questions:

A) How can I tell zpool that I don't want to upgrade? Will it just
remain at version 28 until an administrator runs "zpool upgrade"?

B) Is there a way to have "zpool status -x" only give output when the
pool is actually exhibiting errors or is otherwise unavailable? (i.e.
suppress the upgrade notice)

Cheers,
Jan