[OpenIndiana-discuss] a problem about the core dump

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Oct 6 11:06:38 UTC 2012

2012-10-05 19:17, DengEncore пишет:
> Hello everyone,
>
>           I met a strange problem about the core dump in openindiana.
>
>           The setting of ulimit like below:
> root at openindiana:~# ulimit -c
> unlimited
>

> but, my program, sometimes crashes but no core dump in the program directory.

You can try to enable the system-wide coredump management and
save cores into a common location, i.e. on the global zone,
so as to not waste space in random working directories:

$ cat /etc/coreadm.conf.enable
------
#
# coreadm.conf
#
# Parameters for system core file configuration.
# Do NOT edit this file by hand -- use coreadm(1) instead.
#
COREADM_GLOB_PATTERN=/var/cores/%f.%n.%z.%p.%t.core
COREADM_GLOB_CONTENT=default
COREADM_INIT_PATTERN=core
COREADM_INIT_CONTENT=default
COREADM_GLOB_ENABLED=yes
COREADM_PROC_ENABLED=no
COREADM_GLOB_SETID_ENABLED=yes
COREADM_PROC_SETID_ENABLED=no
COREADM_GLOB_LOG_ENABLED=yes
------

Save this into /etc/coreadm.conf, provide a "/var/cores"
directory - preferably a dataset with quotas, compression
and no automatic snapshots, and "svcadm enable coreadm".
Sometimes you should check and clean out the /var/cores
storage ;)

This should put all of your system's corefiles (including
those generated within local zones) into common storage
on GZ, which can help against crackers trying to research
your memory space by reading these cores, and names the
files uniquely - including process name, system and zone
name, PID and timestamp.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov