[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is OI/illumos stance on recreation of features from Solaris 11 (and other proprietary OSes)?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Oct 10 21:55:00 UTC 2012

On 10/10/12 02:49 PM, Roel_D wrote:
> I am still wondering how a company can take opensource products and build a commercial closed source around it.

It all depends on the license terms that the copyright owner chooses to make
the code available under.   Many open source licenses offer terms that allow
making closed source derivatives - for those that don't, some copyright holders
will offer alternative license terms allowing closed source usage as part of
some contract.   Famous examples of those include Qt & MySQL, which were offered
under the GPL license (requiring sharing your sources) for free, or a
commercial license if you were willing to pay them for it.

There should be plenty of websites you can read up more on this topic, such as
http://opensource.org/ since the openindiana list isn't the best place for the
general discussion of open source licensing, especially of products that aren't
openindiana.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com