[OpenIndiana-discuss] dead java process/vpanels problem solution

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Oct 11 21:17:21 UTC 2012

2012-10-12 1:05, Udo Grabowski (IMK) пишет:
> Anyone who finds a CPU-torturing java process immediately after
> login, and wonders why he can't use most of the entries in the
> system/administration menu:
>
> You have to enable the "rad" service: 'svcadm enable rad',
> since the vpanels need that service to run.
> This really caused me headaches for weeks...
>
> Maybe that should be mentioned in the OI troubleshooting wiki pages.

IMHO a more correct solution (though a bit harder) should
be to add "svcadm enable -t rad" into the desktop GUI
startup (profiles or stuff) or into the starter of vpanels.

This might fail with non-root users though... but if the
service is not running and not startable - this is a good
moment to pop up a warning :\

//Jim