[OpenIndiana-discuss] Openindiana ZFS server crashes and reboots

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:59:57 UTC 2012

I had lots of checksum errors on big writes when I was using WD Greens
without TLER. Also, when I was using ZFS on Linux and a PCI (not PCIe)
controller card for some old PATA 1TB drives, any time the PCI bandwidth
was reached checksum errors out the wazoo. But only on big copies, or
scrubs.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK)
<udo.grabowski at kit.edu>wrote:

> On 10/12/12 08:09 PM, Bentley, Dain wrote:
>
>> I see the checksum errors with zpool status -v but the drives are good as
>> far as I know.
>>
>>  > ....
>
>     pool: volume0
>>   state: ONLINE
>> status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
>>          attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are
>> unaffected.
>> action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
>>          using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
>>     see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-**8000-9P<http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P>
>>    scan: scrub repaired 50.5K in 0h14m with 0 errors on Fri Oct 12
>> 09:37:27 2012
>> config:
>>
>>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>          volume0     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     2
>>              c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     3
>>              c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     4
>>

> So the mass errors from Oct 11 are gone by a zpool clear.
>

>  Funny thing is the only happens during big copies when I'm moving
>> an image from one source to another via the network.
>>

> Which again hints to either memory or chipset problems...
>

> --
> Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
> www-imk.fzk.de/asf/sat/**grabowski/<http://www-imk.fzk.de/asf/sat/grabowski/>
> www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/**sat.php<http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php>
> KIT - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology            http://www.kit.edu
> Postfach 3640,76021 Karlsruhe,Germany  T:(+49)721 608-26026 F:-926026

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me