[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zfs stability "Scrubs"

Roel_D openindiana at out-side.nl
Sat Oct 13 07:56:57 UTC 2012

Thank you all for the good answers!

So if i put it all together :
1. ZFS is, in mirror and RAID configs, the best currently available option for reliable data
2. Without scrubs data is checked on every read for integrity
3. Unread data will not be checked for integrity
4. Scrubs will solve point 3.
5. Real servers with good hardware (HCL), ECC memory and servergrade harddisks have a very low chance of dataloss/corruption when used with ZFS.
6. Large modern drives with large storage like any > 750 GB hd have a higher chance for corruption
7. Real SAS and SCSi drives offer the best option for reliable data
8. So called near-line SAS drives can give problems when combined with ZFS because they haven't been tested very long
9. Checking your logs for hardware messages should be a daily job

Kind regards,

The out-side

Op 13 okt. 2012 om 05:26 heeft Michael Stapleton <michael.stapleton at techsologic.com> het volgende geschreven: