[OpenIndiana-discuss] Automatic reboots

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Oct 14 11:26:56 UTC 2012

2012-10-14 14:11, Michelle Knight wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:18:52 +0200 Roel_D <openindiana at out-side.nl> wrote:
>
>> HP N40L
>> Runs every OI version out of the box.
>> Although it has a ventilator....

> On the tech sheet it is one data port short and max internal storage is
> 4 x 2tb drives.

Most people on the list have tweaked theirs, either by flashing
another BIOS which allows generic uses for "ODD" SATA port, or
adding an LSI controller with internal and/or external ports
and IT firmware, often not using mobo ports at all. Some tweaks
replace the CD bay with a 4x2.5" or even a 6*2.5"(7.5mm) tray
and use the smaller disks for rpools and caches.

It also has ECC RAM which is a very good thing (esp. with ZFS),
though seems limited to its 8Gb.

I hope other list members who have actual practice with these
can elaborate more; I don't think HDD size is really limited
(especially if you use another HBA).

HTH,
//Jim